Harbour Manager cliff W. Mo rgan, captain e. s. taylo r and harbour commiss ioners J. E. Maclean and P. J. McCullo ugh ho nour the arrival of the midland prince on April 6, 1959.
Top hat tradition
Hamilton’s Port Authority celebrates another new arrival
By Erica Strada
When the Canada Steamship Lines vessel Rt. Honourable Paul J. Martin was officially welcomed into the Port of Hamilton March 23rd as the first vessel of 2011, a respected tradition continued. As with many points of anchor, the Hamilton Port Authority has for decades kicked off the new shipping and navigation season by honouring the first arrival with a top hat ceremony. That tradition continued following the mooring of the Paul J. Martin at Lafarge-Hamilton Slag at Pier 26. This year’s top hat was presented by HPA president and CEO Bruce Wood to Captain Kent Powell, whose ship loaded 29,000 metric tonnes of slag for export to Trois Rivières.
“We work closely with our terminal partners to identify opportunities to increase cargo volumes and handling efficiencies for commodities that feed the broader Southern Ontario region,” said Wood, whose port is the largest on the Canadian Great Lakes. “Companies such as Lafarge are essential to supporting major industry in Hamilton.”
The Lafarge-Hamilton Slag terminal is optimistic at the prospects for growth, as is the HPA. The year already looks to continue a trend set in 2010, when the port experienced a 37 percent jump in total tonnage over 2009. The past 12 months were highlighted by the addition of new and expanded terminals, including Parrish & Heimbecker, McAsphalt, Vopak and Ruetgers Canada. Each will begin handling additional cargo in 2011, further boosting the movement of major bulk commodities through the port such as grain, asphalt and petroleum oils, in addition to the pelletized slag handled by Lafarge.